Tuesday, April 6, 2021

I Had to Teach my Little Brother to Drive

So, there were a few shots that involved a moving car. Originally, I planned on bringing my older brother so that I wouldn't have to worry about driving and having someone film the shot for me. It would be my little brother manning the camera while I drove, and I had a few issues with that.

  1. I don't trust him to carry out my creative vision
  2. I get distracted very easily while driving, and because of #1, I would spend more time focused on whether he's getting the right shot instead of looking at the road (a bit of an issue when driving more than 15 mph)
However, my older brother has a life outside of this project and I can only make my little brother help me out. But, Nico (my younger brother) doesn't know how to drive. He has never been in the driver's seat. He doesn't even have his permit yet despite already being 16. His experience with driving has been watching me speed and making my mom's SUV drift while pulling into our neighborhood (I never said I was a good driver).

So if I wanted the car to be moving in the shots while also being able to film and make sure it would stop when needed... I would have to teach him how to drive. A little.

We found a relatively straight street for him to practice on and I gave him two rules.
  1. Under no circumstances do you press the gas pedal
  2. Foot stays on the break the entire time
So, I switched the gear into drive for him (I didn't trust him not to put us into reverse by accident) and had him hold the wheel straight and not press the gas. We moved extremely slow, however, it was movement! He then proceeded to thank me by brake checking the car while I had no seatbelt on. 

We had to work on his braking skills, however, we're set for the car scenes that I need to film!

No comments:

Post a Comment