Thursday, March 4, 2021

AHHHHHHHHH!

Turns out that David's girlfriend doesn't want to do the trailers. This throws an absolute wrench in my plans. Time to completely change what I had planned!

I had a bit of a backup plan, which I discussed with the class yesterday. While Martina has no one to kiss, she does have a cool closet that's pretty grungy and gives me teenage runaway vibes. My idea is to take her up and down State Road 84 and film a teenage runaway film. 

The basic premise is a teenager who gets tired of her suburban life and chooses to run away towards the city as a result. However, she realizes that she made a mistake and is now somewhere where she can't get back and isn't safe.

While the movie is probably not related in the slightest, I got the idea from Beautiful Boy because I think I'd like to have similar vibes to the "my son is a drug addict" drama.

Here is the trailer for Beautiful Boy. I want to make something that feels a bit gritty and realistic, which is the main reason my mind wandered to Beautiful Boy.

I feel like the trailer is a good example of how to demonstrate an interpersonal drama in a compelling way and I like the way it's set up with the arguments and the shots of each of them going through their own problems. While I was initially very opposed to having a voiceover, I don't think that it's that bad of an idea after watching this trailer.

I also checked out the trailer for Marriage Story since it came up on my YouTube recommended after the Beautiful Boy trailer. It's another realistic, popular, drama that involves interpersonal relationships, so it's worth looking into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDFdroN7d0w&list=TLPQMTEwMzIwMjEhEydLwcfMOw&index=2

So, this was a really interesting take on a trailer. It's just a scene from the movie, and it's arguably the climax. And they just... made it the trailer. I'm not sure I want to take this route to be honest, as I don't know if it would be the best method of showing technique. However, since we're doing a pair of trailers and not just one, I think it could be an interesting way to produce just one of them, by having the scene between the daughter and the mother arguing. I think I'd have to recruit my mom into being my actress, so we'll see.

I also found the trailer for an indie drama about adolescence, which is something definitely worth looking into. While it definitely wasn't a box office hit, I am making an indie drama about adolescence so it's a pretty good example to look at. It deals with a teen boy, not a teen girl, but I could get some ideas for color grading and trailer structure out of it.


I think it's pretty interesting. I like how dark the movie is, not in a tone sense, but in the literal color grading and lighting sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment