Saturday, April 10, 2021

Colors

I really like color grading. I think it's an important part of the film, if you mess up color, it messes with the tone of the piece. My phone has a nice camera and video set up, but I do have a bit of an issue: it oversaturates everything. It isn't a problem in day-to-day use, but for the purposes of the project, it means that I have to color grade in order to get the vibe that I want.

So, this is how I went about it:
  1. Import clips into premiere pro and go into color effects
  2. Adjust levels to create a good level of contrast and correct white balance if needed
  3. Play around with filters!
Below, I have screenshots of the clip I tested on with the different filters. I tried every single filter, but these are the ones I felt would fit with the vibe of the piece best.







While I like the last 3, I feel like they're too warm. I want the clips to look a little cold and sterile, so bringing out the blues in the shots would be better than bringing out the reds. The second one feels a bit flat as it gets rid of the depth of the black. So it was between the first and the third filter.

I ended up going with the Blue Matrix filter since it brings out the blues but doesn't oversaturate the greens in the shots. Since Weston is a very landscaped area, there are going to be a lot of greens in the shots. I want to make sure that the colors add to the trailers, not detract from it due to being obnoxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment