Thursday, March 19, 2020

We Filmed! Ah!

I woke up at 7:30 AM because of this little monster. To be fair, he was very hungry and just wanted his food. I can't be mad because he's cute.

This is my kitty Pikachu
After anxiously lying in bed for an hour, I got up and decided to actually give myself time to do my makeup. In all honestly, I had a bit of a complete turnaround after seeing myself in different lighting. The silver was way too blue-based and it just didn't go with the outfit. I decided a new approach was needed.

I wanted the makeup to convey that my character was empowered, so I thought that a more "sultry" look would be fitting. So I packed on black eyeshadow!

My costume!

The final makeup look!

The outfit read a bit more mod than 1950s, but I didn't really mind so much as the implication that it's vintage is still very present. The exact decade that we decide to imitate isn't as important as the feeling that we're trying to imitate the past.


This is what we ended up using as our futuristic device! It's a scrabble game that forced me to inhale a lot of acetone fumes to get clean. But regardless, it ended up looking perfect once I was able to clean it up for its part!

When you're making a movie but you're kinda shy
Onto how the shoot went! It went alright. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. We found out pretty soon that we'll have to completely redo the sound ourselves because of the amount of background noise that would 1) make it feel inconsistent because we cannot film in realtime so the music would not match up 2) break the feeling that this is a futuristic dinner because Sirius XM kept on telling us we were on Elvis Presley Radio

So yeah. That's a circumstance I really didn't see coming.

I had to confront the fact that I was really really uncomfortable on camera. It's just not something I liked and I'm ashamed of the number of times I forced a reshoot because I thought I looked ugly. It was really frustrating being the one mainly on camera. I especially don't like it going forward because I know the editing process is going to be really rough. I'm very critical of my face. Editing this short film is going to involve looking at my face a lot.

A bit of a shoutout to my boyfriend, Gus Lanz, who came with us to help with camera work. I did most of the shots that didn't have me in them and Robert had a very very heavy influence on how the shots were actually composed. He was mostly there to press the record button but regardless, a massive help, especially with the scenes where both Robert and I are shown.

Right after shooting I went to work and then finally got home. I haven't looked at any of the footage again because honestly?

Pikachu shleeping
This is what I want to do right now. I'm looking forward to finally finishing this project. At least I'll have Pikachu to keep me company as I edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment