Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Media During Quarantine

Media has helped me feel less alone. While I do have the benefit of still working during the quarantine, which is really nice in the "I actually get to see other people in person" aspect, it's still really lonely to not see my classmates on a day to day basis.

I've avoided the news like the plague (ironic, I suppose) because I know that that will only make me feel worse. Instead, I've been watching a lot of kind of old movies (I rewatched Gnomeo and Juliette and The Muppets) and YouTube videos. Children's movies have been quite nice because they're lighthearted and while they may tackle serious issues, they stray away from being distressing. It also just generally makes me feel better since they're usually comedies and I definitely could use a laugh.

In addition, YouTube has been quite helpful because of the faux sense of connection. While I know it's not the most healthy way to take in media, especially considering the negative effects it has on creators when it comes to fan interactions (ex. fans feeling like creators are literally their friends). But I'm indulging myself. I'll take any human interaction that isn't an Amazon return that literally could have waited until May.


Besides media, technology, in general, has been useful. My phone usage has gone way up because I'm basically always video calling someone (well, just one person really, but my point still stands). It both helps me feel connected because who loves being with their family for literally 24/7. Sometimes you need a break. Ultimately, I'm probably ruining my eyes and I've run out of YouTube videos to watch (not literally) but having media and technology makes it a less lonely time.

No comments:

Post a Comment