Tuesday, March 3, 2020

I Hate My Script

So I was writing all during the weekend and did half of the script. Except I absolutely hated it. It was literally the worst piece of literature I have ever created. So, that got me pretty sad. Obviously. Reading over it, I realized that I just hated my main character. She was a bitch, plain and simple.

I ran into my first major issue. How do I present a future where these dating norms are what's normal without making my characters seem like total assholes? Answer: no clue. At least not yet. Here comes the brainstorming...

My friend, Trevor, suggested that making the world a result of a totalitarian government would make people, and me, hate my character less. But this is way too complicated for a 2-minute opening and it wasn't an aspect I wanted to incorporate before so I won't incorporate it now. 

So I had to completely rewrite. Which I had no qualms doing. It brought me joy to hold down the delete button and watch hours of work go away. It was cathartic, really. I wanted to cry because it meant completely starting over, but I was starting with something I would actually like this time.

So here's to script 2.0!

No comments:

Post a Comment