Tuesday, March 17, 2020

DIY 50s Costume

So I'm working full-time right now, so I really don't have the chance to go to a store and shop for an actual outfit that will fit into the movie. This means I have to shop my own closet and steal some stuff from my mom. More of the latter than the former, to be honest. So I got with my mom and she helped me google some looks that we could try to recreate.


There are pants! I have pants! I have exactly 0 skirts in my closet because I hate wearing them so this is going to be quite helpful. These looks are very fun and summery, but I don't quite own the silhouette that they create. But, I think the upper far-left pants are what I'm going to aim for.

I'm going to take some advice from the movie Grease, though. I think it has an important lesson that I can incorporate while choosing a look.


You don't have to be historically accurate in order to remind someone of an era. These aren't 1950s looks. But who cares? Not the audience. 


I found these sweater tops which remind me of a set that my mom owns that's a camel-colored sweater and matching cardigan that looks a lot like the combination in the upper left corner. So that's picked out!


Women back then were also wearing pants in funky colors, so I'm going to take my mom's houndstooth pants and use those as well.

While this may not be entirely historically accurate, it's also not a historical piece. We're not taking place in the 50s. It's the future, baby. So I'm going to allow myself some wiggle room with this costume, especially considering that I have like one more day to figure it out.

I'm going to pair this with a pearl necklace I have that's not really a pearl necklace because it feels right. It's a creative choice I want to take!


It's also a piece of pretty popular era jewelry. Which should theoretically complete my look! I'm going to wear a pair of funky mocassins my mom has because I'm unsure whether my shoes will be seen at all anyways, and I think they tie the outfit together quite nicely with the gold buttons on the cardigan and the gold detailing of the shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment