Thursday, February 20, 2020

Deciding on Retro-futurism

After deciding to do sci-fiction, I almost immediately regretted our choice. I knew that I could change it, especially since we were in the earliest of stages of our project, but I felt like I made a commitment to Robert in choosing this genre so I was going to stick to it. And it sucked.

But I got to thinking if I'm doing a sci-fiction film, what topic could we tackle? We knew we wanted our film to follow a Black Mirror style formula of taking technology and critiquing its presence or effect on society. Of course, coming up with what area of our technology-saturated society we want to critique is much easier said than done.

But it hit me! Why not romance? We live in a day and age of Tinder hookups. My friend's Bumble date led to my short film idea. Though, Netflix sure had an influence. I'll get into that in another post, however.

Since we're doing romance, I thought it would be really cool to take modern romance and contrasting it with an era that promoted traditional romance.

Then I remembered retro-futurism was a thing. And it was perfect. This allows us to have an aesthetic that's from the 1950s and some technology from the future! This is especially useful with regards to mis-en-scene. It's much easier to repurpose old things than to completely dream up a setting.

A research post will be up soon, but in the meanwhile, some pictures that really inspired me!


  
Conquest of Space
George Pal 1956

No comments:

Post a Comment