Friday, March 6, 2020

We're Together Again!

So time to revisit the script. Sure, it's only been a day, but I thought about my other classes and allowed myself to fully stop thinking about this short film opening for a while. I realized that what was stopping me from making an engaging opening was my refusal to introduce another character. Ultimately, I think it's vital to what I was trying to do. Hence, welcome Dallas! While Jackson was originally only supposed to be a model, he's been promoted to lead actor. So, here it is! Our script, finalized.

INT. LUCILLE'S DINER - DAY
ANNE-LOUISE walks through the door into Lucille's, a 1940's era diner that has been fitted with futuristic flairs and technology. She is dressed in a burgundy dress, high heels, and futuristic makeup. ANNE-LOUISE has a small device in her hand which has holograms coming out of it. One hologram is of a dating app, Flame, the other is a video chat with her friend DONNA. ANNE-LOUISE makes her way to a booth and sits while talking to DONNA.
ANNE-LOUISE
So, I walked in and he had a Holo 4.5! I can't be with a man that old.
DONNA
(surprised)
Holo 4.5? That's from the 22nd century! Are you sure he really had that many dates?
ANNE-LOUISE
Yes, he has. It's a shame, he was so nice. But I need a man who can provide for me. I don't plan on giving up restaurants any time soon.
ANNE-LOUISE presses a button on the table and another hologram appears, a menu. She quickly presses on what she wants her order to be, as if she's been there often.
DONNA
You have such shamelessly luxurious tastes. Why don't you just take the InstantFull? I know it doesn't have much flavor, but it's so much more convenient.
ANNE-LOUISE
You know it's my guilty pleasure! Besides, I got a bonus at work. Let me treat myself.
DONNA
(giggling)
You always do!
ANNE-LOUISE continues going through her matches, mostly accepting them.
ANNE-LOUISE
I have a date coming anyways.
2.
DONNA
Your third today?
ANNE-LOUISE
Fourth!
DONNA
Rookie numbers. I've had six.
ANNE-LOUISE
I'm not as pretty as you, Donna. Besides, it's only 2 in the afternoon. I have time later today as well.
DONNA
I guess. I have to tell you about this guy from earlier, though! Oh my god! He wants to get married! Can you believe it? I though it was adorable but I had to end it right there.
ANNE-LOUISE
So weird. I could never date someone like that. Marriage is so weird... it's like, basically prison. I can't stay with someone for more than a day.
A waitress comes to ANNE-LOUISE's table and delivers her food. ANNE-LOUISE doesn't acknowledge her and starts eating.
DONNA
Hope you have better luck than I do, it's so awkward dealing with someone like that. Can you believe they're trying to make marriage a thing again?
ANNE-LOUISE
I can't. I also can't believe how good this is. You have to come here with me one of these days!
DONNA
(rolling her eyes)
Stop tempting me! You know I can't afford it right now. 70 dollars for a sandwich is too much. I’m not a foodie.
ANNE-LOUISE eats slowly, far more interested in her phone than her food.
As she browses, a bell rings near the entrance of Lucille's, drawing her attention. A MAN, around her age and sporting a greaser's outfit.
3.
ANNE-LOUISE
(between bites)
He's here. Gotta go Donna, talk soon!
ANNE-LOUISE hangs up on DONNA immediately. She messes with hair a few times, eventually deciding to give up and simply try to play it cool as the MAN finally reaches her table.
MAN
(Looking at device)
Anne-Louise?
ANNE-LOUISE
Dallas?
DALLAS smiles, and proceeds to take a seat across ANNE-LOUISE.
DALLAS
What's cookin' good lookin'?
ANNE-LOUISE forces out a laugh. It wasn't the first time she'd heard that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment